Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Pixies,ghosts and Shoes

OK. so back to this...
IN my last blog I wrote about how I'm working on a Will-o-wisp....here's my take on it again
IN the last blog I showed how I did the hair and now we're onto the face.
Using dark and light turquoise I contoured the face.
what I wanted to do was and ornate feathery almost headband at the hair line which would allow me to use some glow-in-the-dark paint and have it cascade up into the hair.. so I started with this
the G-I-T-D paint I was using was textured as to why it's lumpy
ANd all I kept thinking was 'THis Looks Kyptonian'.. I HATED it,grabbed some acetone and with much effort cleaned off her whole forehead and started again.
I'll come back to her face in a minute.
Lets talk about doll feet!!
MOst doll feet are in a high heel shape and what I was going for was a ballerina foot... something graceful....so I had to do the unthinkable...I Cut off her toes!!
Cut off toes with several layers of glue on top
I found this great Glow-in-the-dark polymer and sculpted right over the glue.
Sculpted ballet shoe from polymer
I also noticed if you rub glitter on the polymer the glitter lays flat and creates a sparkly sheen!
I then coiled ribbons of the polymer to create an abstract lacing and adhered that to the leg with liquid sculpty... NOW heres' the trick.. HOw am I going to BAKE that ? You're wondering right now..
Well you don't... BIG SECRET RIGHT HERE-----> you prop up a blow dryer on high and aim it on the direction of what you want to get heated.. Yep,I'm dead serious.......you have to check it often,make sure everything is safe and not obstructing the blow dryer.. after about 10 mins turn off the blow dryer and let cool down and then do it again .. do this at least 3 times
The dress...
I took pieces of tule and air brushed a gradient blue 
I sewed the top on first and then added all the bottom strips separately
I sewed iridescent beads and made some Glow-in-the-dark beads too....I wanted the glowy orbs to surround her
 Super easy,roll little balls make holes and bake

... OH yeah that face again
I did an extreme smokey eye. The eye itself I painted a normal eye very lightly and then did washes of white and Glow-in-the-dark paint over to give a ghostly effect... not really creepy...for me a Will-o-wisp is both paranormal and fairy like so I wanted the face to be a mesh of both.
I added the tiniest rhinestones 
I made her orb out of the same Glow in the Dark clay for her to hold...between all the Glow-in-the-dark  stuff and the glitter my studio looked like Chuck Norris put a Whoopin on some fairies!
But in the end I think I can pretty close to the drawing.....yep the one on the top of this page
THis glows really bright in person


I'm still in the process of taking pics. Amazing and serendipitous. I had her finished the exact day of the person who it's for Birthday and I didn't even know!
Thank you for reading,Have a Glowy evening :)



6 comments: